Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Good Manners in 'Howl's Moving Castle'

I recently saw the film 'How's Moving Castle' by the well know Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki. One thing the I found interesting in the film was that the characters were all so nice to each other...a little too nice. For example, consider the following situation:


-Situation 1-

Lettie: Someone just told me that you flew onto our balcony.

Sophie: So that did happen.

Random Man: Excuse me Miss., but would you like to use my room?

Lettie: Thanks, but I'm okay. (Lettie, waves here hand, the man tilts his hat and shows off a big grin).


-Situation 2-

Lettie: (to Sophie) I bet it was Howl.

Worker: (carrying a bag of flour into the mill) Hi Lettie.

Lettie: (speaking to the worker) Nice to see you. (to Sophie) It must have been Howl. He was trying to steal your heart.

Sophie: Howl only tries to steal the heart's of beautiful girls.

Lettie: Stop that. You are beautiful.

Worker: (walking out of the mill) See ya Lettie!

Lettie: (to the worker) It was great to see you again.


-Situation 3-

(Old Sophie walks over a bridge, and needs to descend a set of stairs)

Young Boy: Excuse me Ms., do you need any help?

Sophie: No, I can get by. Thanks for asking though. That was really kind.



I have to hypothesis about why we see such much politeness in this film:

First of all, people might actually just talk like that in Japanese. In some cultures, greetings and politeness are an important part of daily interaction.

Second, he might be trying to instill good manners into the children watching the film. This is possible too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Trevor Christensen said...

Could it just be that this is the world that he created? Like this particular universe people are just nice? Or that it’s not really that polite the Japan, it’s just when translated it becomes noticeably different then the norm?

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home